E16: Three Lessons from Arnold Schwarzenegger
In this Episode, Olivia talks about 3 life lessons engineers who learn English as a second (or third) language, can learn from the Austrian oak, Arnold Schwarzenegger.
As an expat, Arnold was always mocked for his thick Austrian accent, mocked for his appearance, and his ambitions.
In this episode, you'll learn:
- that he was not afraid to ask for help. And he was willing to learn off anyone. Even took advice from a ballet teacher to improve his performance on stage. Tip: Ask your colleagues and friends to help you learn English.
- that he knew about the power of a positive environment. As bodybuilder, actor, and politician he brought people together: to train together, to be inspired by each other. Tip: Connect with fellow engineers who are on international projects or who are expats as well.
- that he ignored the naysayers. Have you ever had one of those teachers tell you that you have no language talent whatsoever? Ignore them. As an engineer, you're wired to be good at English.
The English for Engineers podcast is here to help engineers and technicians from all backgrounds to improve their communication skills so Technical and Business English becomes their new superpower.
RESOURCES AND LINKS:
1. Read more about why engineers are good at learning English here: https://www.marcode.org/blog/052
2. Check out the Emails for Engineers template package to help you streamline your email writing efforts (with more than 30 English email templates and priceless bonuses that will teach you how to structure emails, how to switch between formal and informal language, and how to quickly and reliably check for mistakes before sending).
Today's episode was sponsored by Marcode, a coaching business where I help engineers master their Technical English and international business communication so that talking in English will become their new superpower.
CONNECT WITH OLIVIA AUGUSTIN
Olivia Augustin is a civil engineer and certified English teacher turned corporate trainer, her specialty is dissecting the intricate structures of the English language and only putting back the pieces engineers really need to become skilled communicators.
LinkedIn: Olivia Augustin
Podcast: English for Engineers
And if you rather read than listen to these short chalk-talk episodes: sign up for the newsletter here: click here to get the newsletter